Our July book was Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. It took me a little while to get into this story (Eleanor can be a bit hard to relate to!) but once I did I was hooked!
I used the whimsical cover and theme of our July box to inspire the book club guide selections. Other aspects are taken directly from the novel.
• I LOVED that this book mentioned food and drink. It made creating this book club guide so much fun!
• Beverages: There are definitely multiple choices for this. I didn't want to choose vodka because that was Eleanor's 'before' drink so instead I went with Magner's, which I like to think of as her more social beverage. Another good option would be 'frothy coffee' which she always gets with Raymond when they go out for lunch.
• For a snack I chose cheesy scones, the other items she always orders with Raymond. These are store bought but you could definitely make some fantastic ones. You can find recipes on our pinterest board!
• I loved seeing Eleanor change her life at the end of this book and I wanted the atmosphere to channel her newfound happiness. I used these fun, whimsical flowers to brighten up the table.
• Another idea I had was to get a Spongebob Squarepants balloon just like Raymond got for Eleanor when she was unwell. I loved Eleanor's opinion on it and thought it would be really fun to include. I wasn't able to find one at my local party store but if you recreate this and manage to find one please comment the link below! I'd love to see how it looks.
Although it took awhile for her to grow on me, I ended up loving Eleanor. I can't wait to hear what you thought of her and the book!
1. What did you think of Eleanor? Did you like her? Were you able to relate to her?
2. What did you think of Eleanor's relationship with Raymond? Is it love? Either platonic or romantic?
3. Did you see the ending coming or did it surprise you?
4. Do you think Eleanor would have been more 'normal' had she been raised differently? Do you think she is on the autism spectrum or she just has a quirky personality?
Looking for a community to discuss great books with? Join our online book club!