Time is flying by, I can't believe it's already time to talk about May's book! Our selection this month was The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan. I'm always a little wary of WWII fiction as many books have a tendency to glamorize a time that was horrific for a huge amount of people. What I really enjoyed about this book was that it focused on the women at home in a very unique way. I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did and I can't wait to discuss it with you!
(P.s That little guy in the top left corner is my trusty sidekick Joey and he is eyeing the lemon poppyseed loaf!)
When creating this book club guide I imagined myself during this period sitting in my kitchen with a cup of tea, chatting with other women in similar circumstances.
• SO many great options for this. Since I had already made some scones for January's book club guide (and because I was short on time) I chose to make (in reality, buy) a lemon poppyseed bundt cake instead. There are so many sweet treats that you could create for this. Check out our Pinterest board for some options.
• Since this was a very British novel, tea seemed like the most appropriate beverage.
• I decorated the table with a blue table cloth that belonged to my Grandmother. I thought that this was a nice change and really made the cover of the novel pop!
• The peaches and flowers were added as a contrast to the table cloth as well. It just made everything seem a little more cheerful.
• I used my Grandmother's antique tea cups (they get more use in these book clubs guides than they have in their long tea cup lives!) and dishes as serving ware.
There were so many story lines in this novel and so much to discuss! These are just a couple of my burning questions. Feel free to add yours too!
1. Which story line did you find the most interesting?
2. Was there a character you identified with most?
3. How did you feel about Venetia and Mr.Slater's relationship? Did you foresee it ending that way?
4. Is there a character you wish you had learned more about?
5. What did you think of the ending? Was it too neatly tied?
Our book club chat for The Chilbury Ladies' Choir will take place on Wednesday, June 7th at 8:30PM EST in our Facebook Book Club Group!